Internet Explorer has been around since 25 years ago and refused to die until a few days ago, Microsoft has finally announced that Internet Explorer application on Windows 10 will be officially retired on 15 June 2022. As reported by https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2021/05/20/microsoft-ie-internet-explorer-windows-web-browser-retired-edge/5166225001/
But what if you still have to access the application that require Internet Explorer?
How to activated Internet Explorer Mode on Microsoft Edge?
Don’t worry, the new browser from Microsoft is Microsoft Edge has a feature to activate Internet Explorer Mode on Microsoft Edge.
The step to activated this feature as follows :
- Open Microsoft Edge Browser
- Click “settings” on Microsoft Edge menu settings as screenshot below :
- On Settings page, choose “Default Browser” menu and turn on “Allow sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer Mode”
- After you have activated the IE Mode, you can browse the URL and activated the mode. To run it, choose “More Tools” – “Reload in Internet Explorer Mode”, see below screenshot :
- Next you can open the website or web application that require Internet Explorer running on Microsoft Edge without you have to open Internet Explorer browser software. The example below, I can open CCTV application using Microsoft Edge :
What if the “Allow Sites to to be reloaded in Internet Explorer mode” is missing?
But what if you find out the option “Allow sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer Mode” is missing? Like I found on my Microsoft Edge browser, see the screenshot below :
This is usually happened if Microsoft Edge browser running under managed by Organization. It caused because your Windows 10 has already joined domain. To resolve this issue, you have to activated Microsoft Edge Policy Template so that the options can be shown on Group Policy Editor on Windows 10
Please follow these steps below :
- Download the newest Microsoft Edge Policy Template at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download
- Choose the newest version of Microsoft Edge and download the file.
- Extract MicrosoftEdgePolicyTemplates.cab file included MicrosoftEdgePolicyTemplates.zip file
- Browse extracted folder, find folder “windows\admx”
- Copy files msedge.admx and msedgeupdate.admx to folder “c:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions”
- Browse extracted folder, find folder “admx”, inside folder “admx”, find and open folder “en-us”
- Copy files msedge.adml and msedgeupdate.adml to folder “C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\en-US”
- After finished, it will be shown “Microsoft Edge” on Group Policies.
Then you can activated the policy, follow these steps below :
If you have follow those above steps, you should can activated Internet Explorer Mode on three dots menu -> More Tools -> Open Sites in Internet Explorer Mode.
You can review Microsoft Edge settings by open URL edge//:policy in Microsoft Edge address bar. See screenshot below :
Hope this tips help you how to browse legacy Internet Explorer web application on Microsoft Edge.
Don’t forget to leave comment if you have questions or perhaps you can give better feedback. Thanks